From being a leading provider of air navigation services, dans has successfully evolved into a versatile innovator and enabler of cutting-edge solutions. A key driver for this evolution is the phenomenal growth at the airports that dans serves and in the airspace that it controls. The aviation challenges that confront the UAE in general and Dubai in particular are unique and largely unprecedented. There are no off-the-shelf solutions to implement, or best practice to learn from. dans is navigating through uncharted territory and has had to develop its own research, development and testing capabilities.
In collaboration with key partners, dans has launched a number of strategic initiatives that will allow dans to safely manage capacity requirements of future traffic growth not only at DXB but also at airports in the northern emirates. These include airspace restructuring, use of latest communication, navigation, surveillance technology and the launching of ATM business continuity projects.
At present, dans’ midterm strategy (2016-2020) involves more than 35 major project initiatives – some of which represent completely new concepts and solutions to critical challenges. As more and more of these projects are successfully delivered, dans’ vision of becoming a regional Centre of Aviation Innovation is slowly being realised.
In time, dans aspires to become a global provider and industry thought leader. Its impressive R&D credentials and programme delivery track record has already earned it a solid reputation and valuable partnerships with leading aviation organisations such as CANSO, Euro Control, MITRE Corporation, ENAV, and MEAUSE.
dans’ key achievements and contributions to the aviation industry include: :
- Operational deployment of the “Follow the Green” Concept at DXB through the use of an innovative Ground Traffic Management System that utilises enhanced surveillance, automated routing and guidance, control and planning functionalities .
- Establishing a dedicated approach service to military traffic operating in the vicinity of Dubai controlled air space.
- In collaboration with the UAE military introducing Flexible use of Airspace within the Dubai CTA.
- Completing the redesign of the Dubai Control Area (CTA), in collaboration with other UAE ANSPs.
- Completing studies for the future design of a Terminal Control Area (TMA), in collaboration with other UAE ANSPs, to support enroute and approach control services within the UAE.
- Establishing of a Research & Development wake data analysis function in support of operational concepts that require studies of wake behavior for arriving and departing aircrafts.
- Winning “Technology Implementation of the Year” at the Aviation Business Awards (2013) for commissioning the world’s largest tower simulator.